Home > ΑΦΙΕΡΩΜΑ : THE METALLICA CLUB : ARE WE THE PEOPLE…
Αναζήτηση στο site
ΑΦΙΕΡΩΜΑ : THE METALLICA CLUB : ARE WE THE PEOPLE…
WHAT IS THE METALLICA CLUB? – WHO ARE THE PEOPLE WORKING FOR METALLICA?
WHAT IS THE METALLICA CLUB? (from www.metclub.com)
In 1993, the members of Metallica established their own unique brand of Fan Club. The Metallica Club is a way for the band to keep friends, family, and fans fully informed regarding all things 'Tallica. Far more than the name "fan club" would imply, The Metallica Club exists so the band can keep a two-way line of communication open to the people who have supported them over the years. The Club is every fan's ultimate ticket into the private world of Metallica and to interact with the band. Fully owned and operated by the band itself, the Metallica Club is a fail-safe way to know that all fan voices are heard and all requests are considered. ALL MAIL IS READ. Everyone, especially the band, wants to hear Club Member ideas!
ΤΙ ΕΙΝΑΙ ΤΟ METALLICA CLUB
Το 1993 οι Μετάλλικα δημιούργησαν το δικό τους fan club. Το Metallica Club είναι το μέσο με το οποίο το γκρουπ ενημερώνει τους φίλους και οπαδούς του για όλα τα θέματα που το αφορούν. Ο χαρακτηρισμός “fan club” είναι μάλλον λίγος για το Metallica Club, καθώς αυτό δημιουργήθηκε για να υπάρχει συνεχόμενη αμφίδρομη επικοινωνία μεταξύ του γκρουπ και των ανθρώπων που εδώ και πολλά χρόνια το υποστηρίζουν. Το Metallica Club είναι περισσότερο κάτι σαν ένα εισιτήριο προς τα ενδότερα των Metallica. Το club ανήκει στην αποκλειστική αρμοδιότητα των Metallica και είναι πραγματικά ο καλύτερος τρόπος για να ακουστεί η φωνή των φίλων του γκρουπ και να υποβληθεί οποιοδήποτε αίτημα. ΚΑΘΕ ΕΝΑ ΜΗΝΥΜΑ (ΓΡΑΜΜΑ, E-MAIL) ΔΙΑΒΑΖΕΤΑΙ. Όλοι, και κυρίως οι Metallica, θέλουν να ακούνε τις ιδέες των μελών του Metallica Club!
I know that a lot of people would like to ask “How does it feel to work for Metallica??!!”. But think about it : what would YOU answer? Some of us just watched them in a concert or met them in a Meet ‘n’ Greet, and when someone asks us “So, how was it?” we feel like screaming or describing the experience using four times the “F” word in a five-word sentence. So, let’s find out more about the people working for Metallica Club.
(WHO IS WHO :
Margaret Hartman – LOCAL CHAPTERS & WEB ASSISTANT
Lindsay Dellas – METSTORE ONLINE ADMINISTRATOR
Hassan Khider – METALLICA.COM
Samantha McNally – MEMBERSHIP, EDITORIAL ASSISTANT & CUSTOMER SERVICE
Toby Stapleton – MERCHANDISE MANAGER )
1. Small bio – A few words about yourself : when did you first start to work for MetClub – where are you from – what are your 5 most favorite things (e.g. food, vacation place etc)
· Margaret : I started working for MetClub in 2003. I am originally from New York City by way of Argentina, Cuba, Spain and Italy….I’m a Euro Mutt…My 5 favorite things are: My husband - My dog – Traveling - My Family and Friends - Music, Art and great wine
Oops, that’s a little bit more than 5 things…
· Lindsay : Just started working here this summer! I was born and raised in San Francisco, and I have too many ‘favorites’. Let’s just say I can not get enough coffee, love every dog that I see, love to travel (wish I could travel more!), and love hearing live music.
· Hassan : My passion is music and I love seeing live music…have seen thousands of shows…currently average about 2-3 shows a week…Metallica is my favorite band and their very first gig was on March 14th, 1982 (my 4th birthday)…first time I saw them was in 1994 and I’ve seen them perform over 20 gigs…favorite gig ever was Metallica at Slim’s on June 10th, 1996…starting working here in May 2007 (yes, I’m the new guy)…I was born in Baghdad and I currently live in San Francisco with no plans of leaving anytime soon…
--Music – some of my favorites include Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, U2, Gipsy Kings, Radiohead, System of a Down, The Jesus Lizard, Sonic Youth, Fugazi, The Roots, The Pixies, Superchunk, Pearl Jam, Prince, John Legend, Queens of the Stone Age, Muse, Rage Against the Machine, etc.
--Traveling – a few of my favorites include Spain, Egypt, and Greece
--Making the world a better place
· Samantha : I started working for Met Club in May 2001. I am from the East Coast of the USA and I moved to the West Coast for the music and the weather. J My five most favorite things are: live music - watercolor painting – swimming – chocolate - movies
· Toby : My name is Toby, I work here a long time, since like 1993-1994. I do merchandise and hope people like it.
2. What are the 5 words that mostly describe your character?
· Lindsay : Oh man, how do I answer this one? I like to think that I’m friendly, open minded, caring, funny, and creative
· Hassan : Outgoing, friendly, fun, open-minded, and rockin’
· Samantha : Empathetic, liberal, trouble-maker, big mouth, hard-worker
· Toby : Who, what, when, where and why
3. Do you feel that working for MetClub is like combining your hobby with a job or that it is a normal job like all other jobs?
· Margaret : This job is certainly not normal…..
· Lindsay : I like to think I’ve never worked a normal job.
· Hassan : Job? What job? I can’t imagine a better “job”…
· Samantha : Some days are normal and other days are very exciting and fun and the best days are when Metallica tours in California and we get to go see them play!
· Toby : I think a little of both should apply to everyones job..
4. Have you ever thought “That’s it!!! I quit!! I can’t work for MetClub any more!!”
· Margaret : No. Not yet.
· Lindsay : Hey, I just started here! No way.
· Hassan : No…but I am the new guy after all…
· Samantha : HAHA!!! Only when Toby drives me crazy!!! J Or when he kicks me out of the MetClub.com chat room. Just kidding.
· Toby : Once or twice
5. What was the most difficult situation you had to deal since you started working for MetClub?
· Margaret : Sam, whenever she talks politics
· Lindsay : Have I told you who I have to sit next to everyday? Ah, just kidding Toby.
· Hassan : The initial introduction to James where he put me on the spot and asked me about my background…
· Samantha : When the band announced a tour at the same time that we changed data bases and everything got delayed and I had to work many weekends to get all caught up.
· Toby : This interview.
6. Do you feel that MetClub is a “buffer” or a “filter” between Metallica and the fans or that it is a communication channel?
· Margaret : Definitely a communication channel
· Lindsay : Think it’s a great communications channel
· Hassan : Definitely a buffed-up communication channel with some filtering…
· Samantha : Great question! I think it is both. A great communication channel is the So What! magazine and Enter Mailman and Whiplash. When your letter is printed in So What! Metallica reads it.
· Toby : Communication channel
7. Is there some kind of hierarchy between the MetClub staff or everyone is equal?
· Margaret : Sometimes yes, and sometimes, no. Depends on the area….Toby Rules Merch, Jeff rules the websites, the band just simply Rules!
· Lindsay : I’m the newbie. I suppose that means I’m the lowest on the totem pole, but I’ve never felt that way J
· Hassan : You must have watched Star Wars at least 78 times before you move up
· Samantha : We have a full range of personalities here at Met Club. Vickie is the President so she’s the boss. And Toby’s been here the longest so he thinks he’s the King ;) The rest of us are the workers.
· Toby : It’s kinda like marbles, you got your outside circle, you got your inside circle.
8. What is the thing about your job that you love most?
· Margaret : The people I work with and the birthday parties we have and of course, working with the local chapters!
· Lindsay : It’s all so new to me, it’s all great
· Hassan : Job? What job? How about the fact that I don’t feel like it’s a “job” and there isn’t a day when I come into “work” regretting it…
· Samantha : Joking around with Toby. He’s a very funny guy, you’ll see, when you read his answers J Oh and hearing Metallica play in the back while we are working, of course!!!! That’s pretty amazing.
· Toby : This interview
9. Do you feel that it is a great responsibility to handle all the strong emotions that the fans “send” to Metallica through MetClub?
· Margaret : This is mostly Sam’s responsibility. She gets all the wild ones….
· Lindsay : Honestly, Sam gets more of these emails, I deal more with merchandise orders.
· Hassan : Yes, of course…as long as it’s safe and sane, we love and welcome it…
· Samantha : Yes, I take my job seriously, answering email and fan mail. Metallica has many fans from all over the world. It’s really fun and interesting to hear from everyone.
· Toby : I don’t get those, I just get people complaining that we don’t sell this and that anymore. Sam gets the good emails
10. Have you ever heard/read something really moving from a fan that you still remember?
· Margaret : Yes.
· Lindsay : Give it some time, I’m sure I will.
· Hassan : I can’t think of one particular situation at the moment but definitely the substantial amount of fans that strongly feel that Metallica has saved their lives one way or another…
· Samantha : The most moving emails are the ones from soldiers in the war and people from countries that are censored from listening to rock music and Metallica’s music, or are too poor to buy a membership in the Met Club.
· Toby : Yes, this interview.
Many thanx to all people working for MetClub helping HELLASMETALLICA, the Greek MetClub Chapter, with its projects and supporting the communication between Metallica and their fans.